Friday, January 9, 2009

"Down Came the Rain"

Ok, here's my PSA for the blog. :) You may or may not know that I suffered from a pretty severe case of Post Partum Depression after I had Macie. It is something that is hard for me to talk about because it still makes me feel a little ashamed, although I know that I shouldn't. I am writing about it now, because I think that it is important for any new mothers who are reading this blog to know about the disease.
For almost 18 months, I was unable to bond with my daughter. It was the most horrible feeling in the world. I was sad, detached, resentful, and angry. It felt like Macie wasn't even my daughter. Of course I thought she was beautiful, but spending time with her almost felt like I was babysitting for someone else and waiting for them to come pick her up. I just did not enjoy taking care of her, and I sometimes I even had a hard time having fun with her as well.
We first found out that I suffered from PPD two weeks after Macie was born. I was put on some medication, but it didn't really help me. Of course, I was too depressed to even realize that the medication was not helping the way it should. Thankfully, this fall I realized that something was terribly wrong, and I spoke to my doctor about trying a different medication. This time it worked for me, and I am finally able to love my daughter the way I knew I should, and to be a real mother to her!
I would encourage all mothers to read Brooke Shield's book "Down Came the Rain." I recently read it, and when she describes her experience and feelings, it was almost as though I was reading my own story. Even if you don't suffer from PPD, it is a good book to read because it may help you recognize the symptoms if it ever happens to you or someone you love.
And I'm coming down from my soap box now! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment